Registration for Blount County Solar Home Tour, presented by Energize Alabama, is currently open! The tour is slated for 9 a.m. or 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5 and at 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6. The 3–4 hour tour takes you to four solar houses plus an optional bonus home. A brown bag lunch discussion and a film are included in this free event.
Among the four unique designs on the tour are one home constructed from straw bale and another built underground. Come early to see other items of interest, such as organic gardens, vermi-composting, rain water catchment, grey water, solar dehydrator and a solar oven.
This event, as we mentioned above, is free. It’s a great way opportunity to learn about using solar energy to power your home. Solar is much, much cleaner than energy created from burning fossil fuels, and is therefore much better for the air we all breathe (i.e., our health).
Other points of interest from Energize Alabama:
- Dress comfortably and bring water to drink.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes for about a mile walk. Arrangements can be made for those unable to walk that distance. Two of the houses are fairly wheel-chair friendly.
- There will be a brown bag lunch discussion at noon on Saturday. All are welcome to stay after the Saturday morning tour or come early before the afternoon tour. Bring your lunch and join us. We will provide lemonade. At 1 p.m. the film “Kilowatt Ours” will be shown. (The same film will be shown at 1 pm. Sunday as well.)
Questions? Call Lacey @ 205-215-6133 or email [email protected] For general information on all National Solar Tours go to: http://www.ases.org – click on “National Solar Tour”
How to Register:
To register, copy and paste the following and email your responses to [email protected]
Preferred Tour time: ( ) Saturday 9 am, ( ) Saturday 2 pm, or ( ) Sunday 2 pm
( ) Yes, we plan to be there for noon lunch, film and discussions on Saturday. We provide lemonade; bring your own lunch.
( ) Yes, we plan to arrive at 1 pm on Sunday to see the film. Solar Tour provides lemonade.
( ) Yes, we plan to visit the Lyles-Trescott house ( ) Saturday 11 am, ( ) Saturday 2 pm or ( ) Sunday at noon.
- Number of people in your party:
- Name of contact person:
- Phone number:
- City/town: County: State:
- How did you learn about us?
- The American Solar Energy Society will send an email evaluation survey after the tour.
May we share your email address with the ASES for this purpose? ( ) yes ( ) no
Confirmation and directions to the tour site will be sent upon registration.