GASP is seeking to hire a full-time Deputy Director. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director is responsible for supporting the organization’s day-to-day operations, fundraising activities, and programmatic support. We’re looking for someone passionate about our mission to advance healthy air and environmental justice. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable of the Alabama political environment and experienced in nonprofit organizations (e.g., fundraising, management, or program implementation). Knowledge of state and local environmental and energy issues is strongly desired. A successful candidate is dynamic, outgoing, curious, and eager to learn new skills and information.
Title: Deputy Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full Time (40 hours/week)
Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000
Location: Alabama (Greater-Birmingham area preferred)
Start Date: Negotiable
The Deputy Director will work with the Executive Director (ED) to lead the organization in executing its strategic plans and advancing the organization’s mission, vision, and values. The primary role of the Deputy Director is to assist with GASP’s general operations and development activities. The Deputy Director will provide support for mission-driven programs.
Development – 40%
The Deputy Director will assist the Executive Director and other staff with the organization’s various fundraising programs, including major giving, grants, membership, corporate giving, and fundraising events.
- Support the ED in seeking foundation support, including identifying funding opportunities, defining grant deliverables, writing grants, and building positive funder relationships
- Support the Outreach Coordinator with recruiting new members and increasing member retention and engagement
- Contribute articles and feedback for biannual member magazine and monthly member e-newsletters
- Assist with quarterly membership drives and annual fundraising campaigns
- Oversee Clean Air Means Business, GASP’s corporate giving program, including soliciting corporate memberships and sponsorships
Operations & Administrative – 40%
The Deputy Director will co-manage the GASP office with the Executive Director, including supporting human resources (HR) and finance activities.
- Identify, guide, and model strategies to build a positive working environment and culture across the organization
- Attend weekly staff meetings and, on occasion, facilitate meetings
- Provide monthly reports to Executive Director
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors
- Assist the ED with ensuring Board meetings are smooth and successful
- Work with staff to draft annual operating budgets and program budgets
- Support the ED with HR tasks, which may include:
- Running payroll
- Paying invoices
- Reimbursing staff and volunteers
- Approving time-off requests
- Reviewing financial reports
Program Support – 20%
Though not directly responsible for program deliverables, the Deputy Director will support program staff with executing the organization’s air pollution, climate change, and environmental justice programs as needed.
- Represent GASP in select networks, coalitions, alliances, and movement spaces as needed
- Serve as a spokesperson and ambassador for GASP in impacted communities and the media as needed
- Build and strengthen relationships with allied organizations and leaders
- Give presentations to various groups, classes, and conferences about GASP’s mission and programs as needed
- Assist staff with database management, including data entry, volunteer tracking, and database maintenance
Desired Skills & Traits
- Five (5) years of relevant experience – such as nonprofit management, fundraising, or communication – including at least one year overseeing direct reports
- A bachelor’s degree is helpful but not required.
- Experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Google Workspace (e.g., Docs, Sheets, Slides) programs
- Proactive; able to take the initiative and work independently as well as collaboratively
- Resourceful and able to think critically, especially regarding handling conflicting priorities proactively and expeditiously
- A high level of professionalism, including attention to detail and excellent time management
- Strong writing skills and public speaking ability
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Willing and able to work occasional nights and weekends
- Passion for GASP’s mission and supporting our community
- Dedication to social justice and antiracism
Full-time employees are eligible for 100% premium paid health, dental, and vision insurance. GASP offers a very generous paid time off policy, flexible schedules, a hybrid office/work-from-home environment, worker’s compensation insurance, and a Simple IRA retirement account (up to a 2% match). We offer other benefits and incentives, such as modest stipends for cell phones, transportation, and wellness.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Executive Director Michael Hansen at [email protected] with the subject, “Deputy Director Application.” We will also accept a video or audio equivalent of the above. The position will remain open until a qualified candidate is found.
GASP is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, disability, genetic information, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status. Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC); women; LGBTQIA+ people; and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.