We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
The Gulf South for Green New Deal (GS4GND) Alabama Hub is looking for a Hub Coordinator to facilitate the activities and plans of our network members. The Hub Coordinator will unify the Hub’s joint efforts for climate justice. This includes promoting environmental justice, fair housing, food sovereignty, and racial justice.
This position can be remote, office, or hybrid. The Coordinator will be required to attend official GS4GND events, retreats, meetings, and conferences.
Coalition Building and Facilitation
- Assist with facilitating coalition and steering committee meetings that keep our coalition’s campaign on track to victory
- Maintain communication with coalition partners
- Lead strategic grassroots campaign development including digital, legislative, and street actions
- Schedule meetings for the AL Hub
- Provide notes with updates to all Hub leads and participants
Hub Member Education & Leadership Development
- Help design and conduct workshops and presentations that educate coalition partners and community members about the origins of our climate, racial, and economic justice movements
- Coordinate internal communications for the Hub
- Support the coalition’s work to achieve strategic narrative shifts in the public
- Serve as point person for the Hub
- Set up and maintain a Hub calendar while communicating ongoing network members’ actions
- Work with Communications Table Leads and Facilitative Lead to develop materials and recruit and orient potential new member organizations for the Hub
- Implement grassroots lobbying strategies to educate legislators on priority campaign demands and policy solutions
Issue campaign strategy implementation
- Work with table leads to implement the Hub work plan as agreed upon by all tables (Action, Communication, and Policy)
- Where appropriate, represent AL Hub in member group-led advocacy campaigns and strategies
- Collaboratively work with GS4GND Regional leads
- Participate in Gulf South for a Green New Deal and Alabama Hub meetings and activities
- Facilitate monthly AL4GND Hub meetings
- Works with Facilitative, Policy Table, Action Table, and Communication Table Leads
- Ensures staff work executes strategic direction as set by the Leads
Staff Accountability Structure:
This position is accountable to the Alabama Hub All Leads Table for the responsibilities listed above. The Hub Coordinator will be employed by the Hub’s Facilitative Lead, GASP. They report to and receive their strategic directions from the All Leads Table, and attend all All Leads meetings.
Ideal Candidates will possess:
- Facilitation and/or public-speaking experience, ideally in grassroots organizing around climate justice, racial justice, and/or economic justice
- Experience in coalition building, alignment, and community network development
- Experience in conflict management and working with coalition members representing diverse meeting and work styles
- Knowledge and experience using calendaring software, email, social media, and other digital tools for coordination and communication
- Demonstrated ability of coordination skills across multiple perspectives, geographies, and identities
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically as well as understand local nuances
- Demonstrates ability to work as part of a grassroots team
- Demonstrates ability to foster and cultivate relationships
- A deep commitment to supporting, amplifying, and following frontline leadership
- A deep commitment to fostering self-determined and governed work
- A deep understanding, knowledge, and experience in working in the Gulf South
The salary for this position ranges from $47,500-$57,500 plus benefits. This position is expected to be a 12-month contract position.
Email your resume, a brief cover letter, and at least 3 professional references to [email protected], with the subject, “AL Hub Coordinator.”
About Gulf South for Green New Deal
GS4GND is a multi-year, multi-state initiative and regional formation of organizations, networks, small businesses, and engaged residents of the Gulf South (TX, LA, MS, AL, FL) to address the climate crisis and its impacts in the region through the advancement of equity and justice along with the creation of millions of living wage, ecologically sustainable jobs. GS4GND connects long-existing work in the South towards climate, racial, and economic justice. This regional formation develops policy, advances civic engagement through regional campaigns, and organizes communities in the creation of a uniquely Gulf South version of a Green New Deal, centering the realities, power, and relevance of the region. GS4GND will build regional power to advance a uniquely southern, collective, frontline vision for a sustainable future that centers laborers, farmers, fisherfolk, tribal nations, and frontline communities in a just transition away from extractive economies that accelerate the global climate crisis.
GASP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to advance healthy air & environmental justice in the greater-Birmingham area through education, advocacy, and collaboration. We envision a healthy, just, and sustainable Alabama for everyone who lives, works, learns and worships here. We strive to reduce air pollution, educate the public on the health risks associated with poor air quality, and encourage community leaders to serve as role models for clean air and clean energy development. GASP is the financial and facilitative lead (i.e., fiscal sponsor) of the Alabama Hub of Gulf South for a Green New Deal.