Environmental Justice Community OrganizerBirmingham, AL
About the Position
As the EJ Community Organizer, first and foremost you will be an active listener in communities. You will be the eyes, ears and voice of Gasp in impacted communities. The EJ Community Organizer will build community power to address environmental issues affecting their communities. They will also be responsible for assisting with membership recruitment, coalition building, advocacy, and achieving other priority organizational objectives. You’ll serve as an ambassador for Gasp’s advocacy, education and litigation efforts in the community and an unbiased problem solver for reducing air pollution throughout greater-Birmingham. Finally, you will be a leader in promoting the economic, environmental, and health benefits of clean air.
The ideal candidate must have a strong commitment to empowering the people of Greater-Birmingham with the knowledge, skills and opportunities to effectively advocate for themselves. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Outreach Director and Staff Attorney, as well as partner organizations like People Against Neighborhood Industrial Contamination (PANIC). The EJ Community Organizer will develop meaningful, mutually beneficial relationships with leaders and residents in impacted communities, particularly the neighborhoods of Fairmont, Harriman Park, Collegeville, North Birmingham, Acipco-Finley, Tarrant, Inglenook, and East Birmingham.
Gasp is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to advance healthy air and environmental justice in the Greater-Birmingham area through education, collaboration and advocacy. Gasp strives to reduce air pollution, to educate the public on the health risks associated with poor air quality and to encourage community leaders to serve as role models for clean air and clean energy development. Everyone has a right to breathe clean air.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, public health, political science, psychology, communications or other relevant field.
- Has 1-3 years of relevant experience in community organizing, social justice, advocacy, nonprofit organizations, or other related work.
- Has demonstrated the ability to speak confidently in a public forum.
- Is proactive, curious, self-motivated and highly organized.
- Demonstrates a strong interest in community and social justice issues.
- Is able to train community leaders to take action effectively in the public arena.
- Can work with diverse faith institutions and racial/ethnic communities.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills.
- Is familiar with and has a connection to impacted communities in the Birmingham area.
- Is willing and able to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Bilingual English-Spanish is a plus. (English fluency is required.)
The EJ Community Organizer will meet regularly with Gasp staff and PANIC leaders to plan and evaluate work progress. A significant part of the duties will involve helping to develop and implement a Birmingham environmental justice vision and workplan. Some of the primary responsibilities will include the following:
Building Grassroots Power
- Assist People Against Neighborhood Industrial Contamination (PANIC) to help advance their agenda to list the 35th Avenue Site on the National Priorities List.
- Identify, engage and develop community members, grassroots leaders, youth, and clergy of various faith traditions, by conducting one-on-one relational meetings.
- Attend workshops, trainings or professional development opportunities related to grassroots organizing.
- Support and train in community, faith, and school settings to build the leadership pipeline.
- Provide educational presentations to schools, neighborhood associations, civic clubs, and other groups throughout the greater-Birmingham area.
Civic Engagement & Advocacy
- Assist attorneys in the production of comment letters, briefs, documents such as Notices of Intent to Sue, legal motions, and other pertinent legal case duties in a timely and efficient manner.
- Organizes non-partisan civic and voter engagement campaigns.
- Attend and speak at public meetings, hearings, and community events.
- Monitors local, state, and federal decision-making bodies such as the Birmingham City Council, Jefferson County Department of Health, Alabama Department of Environmental Management, Alabama Legislature, etc.
- Develop relationships with staff of strategic partners, community leaders, allies, and policymakers who can help advance our environmental justice agenda.
Membership and Community Outreach
- Participate in tabling events throughout the year.
- Enhance membership database by collecting and entering information.
- Recruit new members and supporters.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson when called upon.
- Support staff with event planning, production, and follow-up.
Perks of the Job
This is a full-time position with competitive pay based on education, experience and other qualifications. We offer generous leave policies including paid vacation, sick time (we prefer to call it “wellness time”), parental leave, etc. We have a relaxed office atmosphere and a culture built on trust and honesty. Gasp offers health and dental insurance through Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Alabama. You will have the potential to earn bonuses based on job performance and fundraising success. In addition, you will have ample professional development opportunities to support your long-term career goals. Finally, you’ll sleep well at night knowing you’re doing important work to make the world a better place!
Health & Dental
Paid Time Off
Sleep Well at Night
We will accept applications through May 31. To apply, please send your resume, a 1-page cover letter, and a list of 3 references with the subject line EJ Community Organizer Position to Executive Director Michael Hansen at [email protected].
We strongly encourage people of color, Indigenous people, women, and LGBTQ+ people to apply. Gasp is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, disability, genetic information, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation , gender identity or expression or marital status.