GASP is hiring a Development Director. Working in tandem with the organization’s staff and volunteers, this person will execute GASP’s fundraising strategies and tactics, and will provide basic communications support. Fundraising duties include overseeing GASP’s major giving, sponsorships, grants, membership program, and fundraising events. Communications duties include basic support for marketing, public relations, and social media activities related to fundraising and membership. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director.
- Schedule: Full-time (35+ hours per week). Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule to work longer hours when needed.
- Salary: $40,000 to $55,000 (commensurate with demonstrated qualifications)
- Benefits: Health insurance (100% paid), very generous time-off policy, and flexible work schedule
- Location: Birmingham, Ala.
- Start Date: TBD/negotiable
- Deadline: January 31, 2021
- COVID-19: We are currently working from home until further notice. When in the office or in the field, staff are expected to follow all CDC, ADPH, and JCDH recommended guidelines and regulations.
GASP is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, disability, genetic information, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or marital status. Black, Indigenous, and people of color; women; LGBTQ+ people; and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
- At least three years of fundraising experience, including foundations and individuals
- A track record of proven results
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Experience worth with the news media
- Knowledgeable about social media and digital media
- Dynamic and effective networker
- Strong strategic thinker
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proactive self-starter
- Follows through on tasks and goals
- Highly organized and conscientious
- Naturally curious, outgoing, and resourceful
- Wants to get out of the office and build strong relationships
- Proficient with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and other publishing software
- Experience with fundraising software (e.g., EveryAction)
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud programs and other design software is helpful but not required
- Is committed to the GASP’s mission, vision, and values (see below)
The job duties described below are not exhaustive. They are also not the sole responsibility of any one person. We work as a team. One of our core competencies is asking for help. No one can do everything alone in a vacuum.
- Work with Executive Director and the Development Committee to develop and execute an annual fundraising plan, which will include:
- Acting as point person for GASP’s Membership Program.
- Coordinating periodic membership drives.
- Communicating regularly with members, including thank you letters, invitations to events, newsletters, etc.
- Coordinating quarterly and annual membership appeals.
- Work with Executive Director to secure Board “Give-Get” Pledges and ensure 100% Board Member contribution to the organization.
- Oversee grants program including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Develop a planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Develop and execute capital campaigns and other major fundraising initiatives.
- Assist with planning, organizing, and promoting the organization’s special events.
- Solicit corporate sponsorships for events and programs.
- Write and send acknowledgement letters to donors in accordance with federal and state 501(c)(3) requirements and Fundraising Policy.
- Produce content for brochures, mailers, one-pagers, and other development materials.
- Contribute to and solicit articles for quarterly member newsletters.
- Assist in producing an annual report, including preparing written content and design.
- Help manage digital and social media accounts, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat.*
- Maintain fundraising web pages.**
- Create and publish engaging digital content (e.g., graphics, memes, videos, GIFs, etc.) for fundraising campaigns and membership recruitment.
- Oversee peer-to-peer (P2P) and social media fundraisers.
- Utilize social media and digital advertising to solicit donations and recruit new members.
- All staff are expected to help execute GASP’s overall brand strategy.
- Publish monthly blog posts.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings.
- Assist with programmatic, communications, and administrative tasks as needed.
- Keep track of performance metrics and submit reports in a timely manner.
- Communicate regularly with everyone on the team utilizing email, Workplace, and other tools.
- This position will occasionally require hours outside of the typical 9–5 (e.g., nights and weekends).
- Provide honest and straightforward feedback to staff and directors.
- Hold the organization accountable to its mission and purpose.
*all staff are asked to help manage social media collaborative
**this candidate does not require website design or development experience (though that is a bonus)
How to Apply
As of January 11, we are only accepting applications via ZipRecruiter and LinkedIn. Applications will be accepted through January 31, 2021. If we haven’t received sufficient applications by then, we may re-open the job posting at our discretion. Use the buttons below to apply at your preferred site. (Please choose one.)
Founded in 2010, GASP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission is to advance healthy air and environmental justice in the Greater-Birmingham (Ala.) area through education, advocacy, organizing, and collaboration. We envision a healthy, just, and sustainable Alabama for everyone who lives, works, learns, and worships here. GASP strives to reduce air pollution, to educate the public on the health risks associated with poor air quality and to encourage community leaders to serve as role models for clean air and clean energy development. Learn more at gaspgroup.org.
Our Core Values
- Fairness. We treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- Justice & Equity. We put justice first, and work towards just and equitable outcomes.
- Audacity. We are not shy about dreaming big.
- Servant Leadership. We aim to be useful to the communities we serve.
- Transparency. We do not hide our intentions or our objectives, and we insist on the same from others.
- Accountability. We expect all stakeholders to hold us to our word, and we’ll do the same.
- Friendliness. We want to be kind and helpful to those seeking our help.
- Sustainability. We try to always walk the walk and act in ways that are regenerative.
- Data-driven. We value information, including qualitative and quantitative data points.
- Scientific evidence. We also value both the modern scientific method and traditional ecological knowledge.
- Health. We put the health of our staff, board, volunteers, donors, and constituents first.
What We Believe
🌤 Every Alabamian has the right to breathe clean, healthy air.
🌤 Health should be a top priority for lawmakers, regulators, and businesses.
🌤 Clean, renewable energy is essential to a healthy, just, and sustainable Alabama.
🌤 All levels of government must be transparent and accountable to the people.
🌤 Alabamians deserve a healthy life no matter their race, ZIP code, or socioeconomic status.
🌤 Elected officials and regulators have a moral duty to protect public health and act in our long-term best interest.
Michael joined GASP in 2013 as communications specialist. He has lived in Birmingham since 2008, and is an active member of the Birmingham community. He’s a passionate advocate for health equity, civil rights and equality. He is currently serving as executive director. Email Michael